Thursday, July 12, 2012

Santarini


July 11, 2012
Up early, then Dada drove me to the boat for Santarini. This is one of the most famous Greek islands, know for its blue and white buildings. It was a 2 hour boat road on a big fast hydrofoil boat. I was expecting a donkey ride up to the town, but there is a new port now and you go by bus. (I heard they still have the donkeys, but I did not see them.)  It was a brutally hot day, but I walked the capital village Faria.  It was mobbed with tourists and full of small shops selling t-shirts, frozen yogurt, trinkets, jewelery, and assorted restaurants. When I made it to the top of the village I saw a sign for the Santarini Palace. So I walked up another flight of stairs and came upon a very fancy hotel all white with a beautiful blue pool and a view of the blue sea. I was so hot, I went to the bartender and said, “Can I swim in your pool?” and he said, “Sure”. It was the most refreshing swim and really saved me from the searing heat. 
I took the boat back and Dada was there to meet me, with the air-conditioned car. And we went to our restaurant for dinner, but I told her, that I could not last until midnight tonight. I was tired from all the sun. The dinner was more of the same from the night before, with lots of wine and talk on how to live one’s life. They were a lovely family.

No comments:

Post a Comment