Friday, July 13, 2012

Knossos


July 12, 21012
Today we finally got into the archeological site Knossos. It is controversial because one of the archeologists from the early 1900’s did reconstructions on the site of what he thought the site looked like. I hated these. It prevents your imagination from working. We beat the tour groups and did the backwards tour to avoid the crowds from the cruises. I was glad to see it. Then we said good-bye to Maria (hotel and shop owner) and Manuel (kiosk owner who gave us coffee). I also bought a bracelet from Maria, I thought I should try and get something from her for all the kindness she showed.

Then we drove and drove to the south coast of Crete. We took some small and scary roads, but drove up to the beach of Plakias. Lovely large cove. We drove to the edge of town, stopped to eat and I said I was going to ask about rooms. The “On the Rocks” had a perfect room with a small terrace overlooking the beach and two beds. And the price of the room includes two beach chairs and an umbrella. Also, they have internet access, which I have had trouble getting because we are moving so much.

We spent the day swimming and then walked all the way through town to the farthest restaurant, which was a family run local place, all outside and right on the beach. I had a modified and expanded Greek Salad. I try to get other things, I read the whole menu and there are many vegetarian choices, but it is so hot that I always come back to a lovely salad. Every meal for the last week ends with a plate of watermelon, sometimes with another melon or cucumbers, but always watermelon. They also serve raki, a local wine, very strong, in shot glasses. This is a “gift from the house”.

No comments:

Post a Comment